WATCH: Fight over chips leads to suspension of Table View High School pupil

By Odwa Mkentane Time of article published Aug 4, 2021

Share this article:

Cape Town - A Table View High School pupil has been suspended after a fight, allegedly over a packet of chips, was caught on video and shared widely on social media.

Two pupils got in a scuffle while a third, who intervened to break up the fight, was also assaulted.

Western Cape Education Department (WCED) spokesperson Bronagh Hammond said the school was dealing with the matter in terms of its disciplinary processes, and has already conducted a mediation meeting between the pupils involved, in which they all apologised for their roles.

“The incident happened last Thursday. Two learners got into a fight, allegedly over a packet of chips.

“Another learner intervened to break up the fight and was assaulted.

“A second altercation happened after the school had been dismissed, which was caught on camera.

“The altercation happened between the learner who originally intervened and another learner who had been in the altercation earlier that day.

“Three learners will face a disciplinary hearing.

“The alleged victim in the video is not facing disciplinary action but has been called as a witness.

“The other learner in the video has been temporarily suspended,” said Hammond.

She said trauma counselling has been arranged for the alleged victim.

“The matter has also been reported to DSD (Department of Social Development) in terms of the Abuse No More protocol, and further counselling has been arranged for two of the other learners. The alleged victim is not currently in hospital. The school has been in contact with both the learner and the parents involved,” she said.

Attempts to reach the victim’s parents were unsuccessful yesterday.

Police are also investigating a common assault complaint.

“We can confirm that at this stage no arrest has been made. Be advised that a case of common assault has been registered by the Table View police for further investigation. The matter stems from an incident that occurred on Thursday and was reported yesterday (Monday),” said police spokesperson Joseph Swartbooi.

ANC education spokesperson Khalid Sayed welcomed the WCED’s progress.

“A video went viral that saw the fight later proceeded outside the school premises and showed how a young white man repeatedly hit an African boy, all in school uniform, threw the last one on his head, hit his head with a clenched fist, hit his head against the tar in a public street, kick the victim with shoes on and also hit him with the knee,” said Sayed.

Sayed said the black pupil is recovering from injuries at home.

“Learners should be occupied with learning during this time and not squabbles. It is high time that proper charges be investigated by the police, the SA Human Rights Commission and the school authorities to stamp out such thuggish behaviour once and for all. The ANC in the Western Cape legislature is disgusted by such bullying tactics that still occur too often. This is a serious matter and the suspects must be disciplined properly.The ANC commends the school for rapidly taking steps to send out a strong message against that, and will follow the process with interest,” he said.

The South African Human Rights Commission could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Joshua Chigome, spokesperson for MEC of Social Development Sharna Fernandez, said the minister would reply today regarding the matter.

Cape Times

Share this article: